Monsignor Hogan – Parish Priest at St Bernadette’s Church
Monsignor Hogan is our Parish Priest. He is a regular visitor in school and classes. He is readily available for children, staff and parents to talk with. His presence around school is another way in which we ensure that our faith is visible and lived out.
Monsignor Hogan (Pen Portrait)
I was born on 11th May 1950 to John Hogan and Rosemary (nee Willoughby). I was ordained a priest in 1974. I have been Parish priest at St Bernadette’s, Nunthorpe since 1994, following time as an Assistant priest at St Thomas More’s and St Mary’s Cathedral.
I was educated at Mount St Mary’s College, Spinkhill, then I attended Oscott College; English College, Rome and Angelicum University. In 1999 and 2006 respectively I received an Honorary and Foreign Distinction: KHS and KCHS. I have been a tutor in Canon Law at Ampleforth Abbey since 2002.
I have been appointed to the following roles:
- Canon of Middlesbrough Cathedral Chapter in 2013.
- Chairman to the Historic Churches Committee for the Diocese of Middlesbrough 2002
- Chairman to the Diocesan Council of Priests since 2010
- Member of Appeal Tribunal since 1999
During my time as a priest I have been responsible for a variety of roles:
- Diocesan Vocation Director 1977-83
- Judicial Vicar 1978-97
- Chancellor 1980-97
- Trustee of Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland 1997-date
- Chairman of Research Committee of Canon Law Society 1997-2007
- Chairman of the Diocesan Art and Architecture Committee 2004
- President of Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland 2007-2013
- Dean of Middlesbrough – Northern Deanery 2011-date
I have been a member of the Diocesan Priests’ Retirement Committee since 1998 and a Prior for the Northumbrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre since 2009. I was also a Knight Commander in 2006.
I have a variety of interests including reading, music and walking.