As a Trust we are all encouraged to use our gifts and talents to serve others.
Each academic year, we organise a range of events and programmes of service at St Bernadette’s and our mission is replicated across the whole Nicholas Postgate Trust.
Jesus sets us the example of service in many ways throughout the New Testament. Washing feet, a service performed by slaves was used by Jesus to give us an example of how we have to serve one another.
In school we have discussed ‘How can we serve others?’ and ‘What do we do already in school which could be seen as serving?’ We promise to continue to do these acts of service and think of further ways so we can ensure our acts of kindness/serving can make a positive impact on the world.
At St Bernadette’s we humbly follow the calling and leadership of Christ to serve others. Some of the ways we serve are:
- Harvest Mass food hampers
- Remembrance Service
- Cause Hampers to support local families in need
- Retirement home Choir Concert
- Parishioners Party
- Litter Picking
- Visit local Nursing homes
- Donate old clothes / food bank
- DePaul sleepover for the homeless
- Letters to Government urging positive action for specific causes
- Easter liturgies
- Fundraising for worthy charities such as Cafod, Children in Need etc
2019-20 initiative – The Year of the Word
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales have designated 2020 as ‘The God Who Speaks’: A Year of the Word to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Verbum Domini – Pope Benedict XVI’s Apostolic Exhortation on ‘The Word of the Lord’, and the 1600th anniversary of death of St Jerome, who translated the Bible into Latin. Therefore, 2020 will be a year of celebrating, living and sharing God’s word, through simple class led activities and resources using Matthew’s Gospel as our stimulus.
We have assigned Community Good Samaritans to each class. ‘Inspirational and humble’ people linked to our school have been selected to share some of their good work. Classes wrote about each one so they too can be inspired to carry out small acts of kindness too:
- Nursery/Reception – Carol Walton and Sandra Rowney are stalwarts of the St Bernadette’s parish and supporters of various school events throughout the year
- Year 1 – Pat Williams, a member of staff at St Bernadette’s for over 30 years until her recent retirement has taught 2-3 generations to read and write! Pat still volunteers in Y1 each week.
- Year 2 Mr Townsend has spoke to the children on several occasions about his work in the armed forces
- Year 3 Mr Leyland, one of our ‘Grumpy Gardeners who works with our Y3 class each week – a gardening and environmental enthusiast who is passionate about his local area
- Year 4 Mrs Arnold who works with the charity Little Hearts Matter to fundraise and raise awareness for children living with half a working heart.
- Year 5 Mr Wren who has raised over £100,000 in memory of his daughter Charlotte Wren’s Forget Me Not charity.
- Year 6 Mrs Margaret Fletcher, an active member of the parish SVP group and volunteer in other capacities in our locality including working with refugees.
2018-19 initiative: The Door of Serving
Each class had a dedicated group in the community which they reached out to and support – all classes decorated their doors as a daily reminder to the community group they served:
- Nursery and Reception – Serve each other in love
- Year 1 and 2 – Serve the hungry
- Year 3 and 4 – Sick and elderly
- Year 5 and 6 – Serve the homeless